Friday, June 27, 2008


While I am pleased that the Court in Heller found support for an individuals right to keep and bear arms, that is not the most pleasing result of Heller for me.

What I like most about this case is that the majority and the minority opinions are based on the concept of original intent or, at least, a strict reading of what was actually written.

I found it amusing that Justice Stevens, writing the dissent, noted, "the Court proceeds to “find” its preferred reading in what is at best an ambiguous text". Frankly, I find this hilarious in view of the "rights" found in the "penumbra" of the Constitution. At least, if you agree with him, the Court relied on "an ambiguous text" instead of just yanking it out of their collective anuses (ani?).

Read SCOTUSblog and the original opinion for more.

No comments: