Saturday, June 28, 2008

Best of BS: GPS Implants

*Originally posted on 9-29-04. To this day the biggest Google search to get to my site is "GPS implants for kids."

GPS Implants for My Kids Please


This morning I was listening to Michael Smerconish on the radio. I think I have talked about him before…he is a Philly talk show host (former lawyer), does occasional commentary on CNN and just wrote a book called ‘Flying Blind –How Political Correctness continues to Compromise Airline Safety Post 9/11’ (he testified in front of Congress about this also).

During the brief part of the show that I caught today, Michael was talking about the possibility of implanting GPS chips into CIA officers, soldiers etc. Subsequently, if they were captured Special Forces could swoop right in –save them and kill the animals who took them. Those of you who know me in real life can attest to the fact that I have been saying this about children FOREVER. If we have LoJack for our Jeeps…why wouldn’t we have it for our MOST valuable possessions?

I guess one of the major drawbacks of being a news-junkie is the ‘missing children’ stories that always haunt me… Actually, they don’t even have to be children –I sent a card to Lacey Peterson’s mom soon after she ‘disappeared’. (She was 27, pregnant with her first child –who was a boy and already named Conner…I was 27 when I was pregnant with Justice –my first child who was a boy and already named Justice….I felt a connection with her). If there is ANY chance in the world that your child could be abducted, raped, dismembered or tortured --why wouldn’t we be doing more to prevent it from happening? The LoJack commercials promise your car will be located in 30 minutes (and they boast a 90% success rate) –and with ‘missing persons’ they say that the first 24 hours are crucial –so couldn’t this technology virtually eliminate the horror of child murders outside the home? Why don’t we have GPS for humans?

I know –the conspiracy people will say that the Government could then track your movement…but I say, so what? They wouldn’t be mandatory. You don’t have to get your kid one –but I want it and would implant it in them myself if need be. This is my biggest fear as a parent. I watch family after family cry on Larry King and wonder how they possibly go on after something like that…knowing your child died scared to death in some horrific fashion.

I had never expanded this train of thought to include soldiers…then again before the past year I was never cognizant of the sacred ancient Muslim practice of beheading either… With this technology Daniel Pearle, Matt Maupin, Nick Berg, Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong could all still be alive and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi could be very dead…

Why aren’t we doing this yet? Do Americans value their Audis more than their children and their soldiers –or could it be that we haven’t made this technological leap...or are people so paranoid that they would keep their privacy over their lives?

No comments: