Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank You Kali...and Allen Carr

As many of you know, I have wanted to stop smoking forever. There have been many reasons why I haven't--topping them is recent smoking bans, sanctimonious non-smokers and ever more sanctimonious ex-smokers. I am not a person that is told what to do very easily... A few years ago Kali gave me "The EASYWAY to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. It sat in my bookshelves for years. Maybe I didn't believe a book could help you quit, maybe I didn't really want to quit or maybe I just needed to do it in my own time without nagging and condescension...

I got the kind of space and advice I needed from both Kali and Allen Carr. Kali bought me the book and just gave it to me. She didn't preach or bug me about reading it...she just bought it and sent it. Allen Carr isn't some dude that's never smoked --he was a hardcore 5 pack a day smoker. He doesn't employ 'scare tactics': which bore the pants off of smokers btw. While you are blathering on about all the ills of smoking, the smoker you are talking to is looking you up and down and thinking about all of your faults and belittling you in their mind. Trust me.

Though I am no longer a smoker, I will NEVER turn into a PITA ex-smoker. The smokers among us are not the weak ones --they are normally the strong willed over-achievers (who else could force poison into their lungs 20+ times a day)...

I'm not sure why this book/method isn't more talked about -especially by doctors. In the past I have tried hypnotism, the patch, nicotine gum, and willpower: and all failed.

Thank you Kali for your gift(s)...the book and the non-judgmental attitude!!!

No comments: