Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let's Get Fired Up...

He's been called Sid the Kid, but much more appropriately he's also been called the Greg Louganis of the NHL. Penguins fans can remain in denial all they want...but their star player, Sid Crosby is a diver (not sure of the nickname has deeper implications than that...). For the non-hockey people out there: a dive is when a player embellishes a hit and flies across the ice to induce a penalty against the other team. Something I don't need to prove...the YouTube 'tribute' below speaks for itself... (watch for the hand-signal Forsberg makes...that will be our 'waving white towel" for this series...)



I could watch that 100 times...love that they put the footage from his beefcake Vanity Fair shoot.

But if there's any doubt left in your mind --look at the NHL 08 video game. Hahahaha...

Here's the thing, I'm not taking from the fact that Crosby is a great hockey player...but that's what makes his histrionics worse than those of the average player. He doesn't need to do it. I was surprised to see Ovetchkin take a dive in the series against the Flyers, but at least he only did it once.

Evgeni Malkin is also on my voodoo list this series:

"Evgeni Malkin, the Pittsburgh Penguins' Russian-born star, remains a man of few words as he learns English and its tricky nuances.

One subject, though, gets him talking, and a lot: the Philadelphia Flyers, the opponent the 21-year-old Malkin already loves to hate.

"That's one of the teams that it's really not a pleasure to play against," Malkin said. "I really don't like playing against them.

"I don't like that team.
" (source)

One of my boys said to me, "Mom, if we got Ovy or Crosby would you still hate them?"
"Good God no, I'd worship them, but what does that have to do with anything?!"

On Friday night I will be hanging with my boys and my dad...there will be Cajun wings on hand and the first game of the semi-finals on the telly. There will be yelling and animosity for Pittsburgh, love for our boys in orange and black and a good time will be had by all regardless of the final score...

No comments: