Thursday, April 24, 2008

Carter & Hamas


On the way to work this morning I was listening to a local talk radio show. The host is fairly liberal, but usually thinks and is occasionally amenable to education.

As you may know, Jimmy Carter recently met with the leaders of Hamas. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says the US government told him not to do so.
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Tuesday the Bush administration explicitly warned former President Jimmy Carter against meeting with members of Hamas, the Palestinian faction that controls the Gaza Strip and which is regarded by the U.S. as a terror group.
President Carter says this didn't happen.
In an interview with NPR, Carter said the State Department did not warn him off the trip.
(source)

The local radio host asked, "Now which one of these, Rice or Carter, do you think would be more likely to tell you what he/she really believed, in their heart of hearts?" (paraphrasing) The group agreed it was Carter.

Although I don't really like Carter, I would agree. Not that I think Rice is a liar, but she would be more likely to consider the repercussions of any comment, while Carter, I think, really believes what he believes, so to speak.

The problem is, I left that segment of the show with the impression that the host meant to say, and have the listener believe, that Carter was more likely to tell you the truth than Rice would. If you re-read what he said, it doesn't have anything to do with what is actually true.

It just says that Carter is more likely to tell you what he believes the truth to be. I'm sorry, but, although I think he really believes in what he is doing, that doesn't make it the truth. Just because Jimmy Carter tells us the State Department didn't give him a warning doesn't make it true, no matter how much I believe that he believes it.

I think Sec of State Rice saying something quite accurate and truthful and Pres Carter believing something the polar opposite is very possible.

I believe in delusions. A delusion is a false, fixed belief that persists despite evidence to the contrary. Alzheimer's is also a factor in some people.

No comments: