Friday, March 21, 2008

Throw GrandMomma from the Train

"...I can no more disown [former Trinity United Church of Christ pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright] than I can my white grandmother -- a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe... Barack Obama, Philadelphia "Race & religion speech 3/19/08

"... .. The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it..." Barack Obama, Philadelphia radio WIP 3/20/08

I cringed when I heard Obama say this during his spin speech the other day. What a lovely grandson to basically tell the world that your Grandma that raised you dropped some n-bombs...and compare her to an America & White hating racist. Then I figured that she must have given him the go-ahead to throw her off the train to save himself...

And a "typical white person"!? Obama takes out right foot and inserts left. Geez. Can you imagine if McCain or Hillary would have said someone was a "typical Black person"? Sharpton & Jackson would have a million man march organized in 4.2 seconds.

But even HuffPo had the same reaction I did.

Newsbusters shares some insight straight from Obama's book and in his own (pre-candidate) words.

Someone emailed me yesterday to prompt me to admit that Obama was a great speaker with a bright future. I have never denied this. I told this person that as I watched this speech on race, the one that Obama refused to denounce reverend Wright but surely disrespected the "woman who loves [him] as much as she loves anything in this world", I found myself humming "making something out of no substance at all" (set to Air Supply).

Obama doesn't exemplify "CHANGE" for me...he elucidates the DOUBLE STANDARD I am fed up with.

No comments: