Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Internet Addiction...

"...As more people leave the office computer, only to log on as soon as they get home, the American Journal of Psychiatry has found addiction to text messaging and emailing could be another form of mental illness.

The article, by Dr Jerald Block, said there were four symptoms: suffering from feelings of withdrawal when a computer cannot be accessed; an increased need for better equipment; need for more time to use it; and experiencing the negative repercussions of their addiction.

Dr Block said that although text messaging was not directly linked to the Internet, it was a form of instant messaging and needed to be included among the criteria. .." (source)

I totally had this problem the first year I was Blogging. I had to set some serious restrictions on myself when I realized it was getting out of hand. This is why I don't text or have any chat software on my computer to this day. It's just more 'fake' stuff to keep me from my 'real' life. The computer has made it so easy to 'escape' from our everyday lives and the problems and stresses associated with that, but I feel that a few years down the line when people look back they'll begrudge time they spent virtually that could have been productive reality.

No comments: