Monday, February 04, 2008

More Bull In Berkeley & A Senator With Balls

First I wanted to acknowledge Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina and his swiftness in drafting legislation that would "cut $2.1 million in federal funding to Berkeley in a current congressional budget bill and transfer the money to the Marine Corps. The funding would include $750,000 for prospective ferry service, $87,000 for the Berkeley Unified School District nutrition education fund and $243,000 for the Chez Panisse Foundation, which promotes nutritional awareness in school lunch programs.

"The First Amendment gives the city of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money," DeMint said in a statement.

He called the council's vote "a slap in the face to all brave servicemen and women and their families." (source)

I don't understand why there weren't a slew of Congress members rushing to co-sponsor this bill...

Three old hippies chained themselves to the door Friday and the council granted Code Pink a front a center parking lot to sit and harass with their bull horn.

I try not to post about stories that I don't care about. I won't feign outrage to be a party faithful, because that is one of my biggest beefs with the left. But this... This both completely pisses me off AND makes me sad at the same time. There is no facade of indignation here...just pure disgust at some of my fellow Americans.

To contact members of the Berkeley City Council:
www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/citycouncil
(510) 981-6900

To encourage/thank Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., who wants to pull federal funding from Berkeley:

demint.senate.gov/public
(202) 224-6121

To contact Code Pink:

info@bayareacodepink.org
(415) 575-5555
(510) 524-2776

*If you look through the pictures linked, the cops are just standing across the street watching. I know these kooks have the right to protest, but do they have the right to chain themselves to the doors?!

No comments: