Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kosovo?

For years I have corresponded with a Muslim woman in Busovaca, Bosnia that I supported through Women for Women International. I wanted to understand the war that she and her husband had barely survived, so I started reading Bosnia/Herzigova War "synopsis" sites. I still don;t really understand the dynamics of the whole thing. I mean I get the ethnic cleansing and the civil war aspect, but I don;t know what lead up to that... I don;t know if the hatred was based purely on race/religion with no provocation (like Darfur) or if it was more like Chechnya with much provocation and (seemingly) warranted retaliation...

So now that I read that Kosovo has declared its independence, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I keep seeing flickr sites rejoicing in this development. The thing is, since the flickr pages are that of white Americans...I'm wondering what they know that I don't. Why are they happy? Why are they happy enough to post pictures on their site?

Now I know that ethnic Albanians are extremely pro-America. The woman I corresponded with was lovely (maybe someday I'll share some of her letters for those that think "the rest of the world hates us"), loved the American military and was heartbroken when the UN took over... But there must be more to it than that, right?

No comments: