Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thompson Withdraws

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a bit crestfallen today. Yes, of course I knew it was coming but one of the reasons I was so excited about Thompson was because I was so apathetic about the rest.

Here's the official statement:

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people. -posted by Fred"

What's a girl to do? Do I try to get excited about someone else, or do I just wait and see who the nominee will be. I'm a Republican in Pennsylvania...so my vote never really does count. Now, that being said, I have never missed voting in an election since the day I turned 18. BUT, our primaries aren't until after Super Tuesday so the nominee is normally pretty clear by then and I'm a red living in a blue state so my general election vote is lost also. It sucks.

I'm 90% sure that my vote will go to McCain. I know many of you won't be happy with that, but (obviously) I have really thought this through and I don;t see another alternative (for me at least). I know some people think "character" shouldn't matter. I think "character" should be everything --and by that I mean if I believe that someone's heart and intentions are genuine. McCain has heart. He loves this country. He served this country with distinction.

...And he may try to mend his foibles by appointing Fred as his VP?

No comments: