Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Late Great Joe Strummer

This past weekend The Man and I rented the new Joe Strummer (front man of The Clash) documentary, Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten. Now, you have to understand that tesco has worshiped The Clash since he was really, really young. I like a decent amount of their music (mostly the reggae infused stuff), but since I was into pretty hard stuff they always were a bit too poppy for me.

Anyway, I did a review of the documentary over at tesco's site (<--which is full of the 'new generation' of Clash fans). Since the film was about Strummer the man and not so much about the band it was pretty political...therefor my review needed to be as well. I hope his readers will understand that it's not about the juxtaposition of Strummer's politics and mine, but the deconstruction of his lyrics when coupled with his actual lifestyle...

"It was a Marxist revolution and the Sandinistas were murderers…before Strummer took up their cause (and wore their colors) did he research the fact that Communism has killed over 100 million people in “peacetime”? If Strummerites were able to remove the rose colored glasses and look at the man objectively, they’d see that beneath the cool clothes and reggae induced beats…he was just the Sean Penn of the early 80’s." (Read my entire review)

No comments: