Thursday, November 29, 2007

Miss, Mrs. or Ms.

Something strange I've encountered while teaching this year and last is that the students (even the 5th and 6th graders) seem to be completely unaware of the meaning behind Miss and Mrs.. I've had to explain the difference to almost every class and usually only one or two kids raise their hands to say they know what each means. Most seem to think "Miss" is just a quick (or slang) way to say "Mrs."

Then I really confuse them because I use Ms. No Hoss, not because of my feminazi streak. :)I guess for the same reason I call my husband "The Man". "Mrs." and "husband" make me feel old. I am not and refuse to become "that mom" with "that haircut" and "those clothes."

This is obviously nothing of consequence...just something I found odd/interesting.

No comments: