Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Will This Go Unpunished?

"A violent beating in Norfolk is caught on tape. The 13 year-old victim and his family believe the attack could have been racially motivated.

The victim in this case is a 13 year-old white boy, Damien O'Rourke. The group who attacked him is made up of all African American teenagers. Damien and his family believe the teens may have picked the fight because Damien is white.

"I was going to play football with my friends. The next thing I know when I got there, there was like, seven black kids who said they were going to beat me up and they started beating me up," says Damien.

Damien and his family say the violent fight was unprovoked.

"They were kicking me and punching me in the face. They weren't aiming for nothing except my face."

Damien says kids at his new school, including one of the kids involved in the fight, treated him badly for a time because he is white. Now his family believes their skin color could have been what led to the first punch being thrown..."(Source & Video found here)

I'm wondering if fear of accusations and protests will cause this incident to be deemed NOT racially motivated and swept under the rug?

This is why "hate crime" legislation is bogus to begin with. Who cares why someone did something wrong --they should be punished for doing it regardless. Is there ever a good or acceptable reason to beat, maim and/or kill someone? NO. The whole concept of punishing someone "further" for their thoughts is ludicrous.

No comments: