Tuesday, August 07, 2007

How Many Kids is Too Many Kids?

...Or how Few is too Few?

I am the oldest of five (+ foster kids). I hated that when I was younger. I went to a hoity-toity two child private school and everyone would always say, "Are you Catholic?" when they would discover I came from a Mel Gibson-esque brood. Now, I love it. I love family get togethers and I love all of my brothers and my sister. I love when we're all together with our significant others and friends and it's always huge and loud and fun.

The other day my youngest asked why I got to have a sister and three brothers and he only had one brother. He had no idea what guilt he was laying on me because that is something that I think about often. Is it selfish that I only have two when I so enjoy being from a big family? What's strange is having only two is a decision I know I'll regret. In all fairness I should mention that in the 6 1/2 years since our youngest was born we haven't used anything to stop it from happening...so I guess I was only meant to have two...

Those of you that saw Alexandra Pelosi's HBO Documentary, Friends of God, might remember Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. Michaelle just gave birth to their 17th child. I'm not judging, but sometimes I feel like I can't give enough of myself and my time to two kids...

"...Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children - whose names start with the letter J - are home-schooled. The oldest is 19 and the youngest, before Jennifer, is almost 2 years old." (source)

Maybe a nice middle ground between my two and her 17...?

No comments: