Saturday, June 23, 2007

The White Stripes Get Political



Excerpt from their new single "Icky Thump":

"...Well, Americans:
What, nothin' better to do?
Why don't you kick yourself out?
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too

Icky thump, handcuffed to a bunk
Robbed blind
Looked around
And there was nobody else

Left alone
I hit myself with a stone
Went home
And learned how to clean up after myself."


"Why don't you kick yourself out? You're an immigrant too." <-- How annoying is that. Why do people keep trying to make the debate about immigration? Being technical, I am not an immigrant. And my ancestors were LEGAL immigrants. My sister-in-law to be will be a much welcomed LEGAL immigrant. It's the ILLEGAL part that is the problem, not the immigrant part and it seems like a concerted effort to gloss right over that...

And I don't know about you, but it's kinda hard for me to accept political criticism from a guy that seems to have molded his entire persona around the fictional character Edward Scissorhands...

No comments: