Friday, June 15, 2007

The Perfect 10 Compilation

The other day The Man posted about what should determine your favorite band/"island CD" (that one CD you could listen to ad naseum and regardless of mood if you were "Lost") --and it was interesting because many people listed music that wasn't necessarily their favorite artists...

"The fact is, however, a favorite band of all time should be treated exactly like your “island band” because this is the band that you can safely say you would have no problem being stuck with for the rest of your life, the one band that you can hear a billion-trillion (real number, it is really!) times and not get sick of. The same band that if you can, you will listen to everyday..."

That same day I heard a commercial on VH1 (the kids must have had it on *ahem*) for a XM Satellite contest. Now I don't know who the judges are because this seems very subjective to me, but the person that submits the best mix of 10 classic rock songs will win (though I don't remember what they win).

So I was thinking about what that perfect 10 compilation would consist of. And how many arguments there could be over what actually qualifies as "Classic Rock"...

I know "Slow Ride" by Fog Hat would be there. "Black Dog" by Zeppelin. "Dirty Deeds" by AC/DC (or would it be "For Those About to Rock"?) "Hotel California", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Proud Mary", "My Generation", "Dream On", "Free bird" "All Along the Watchtower".

That's ten, but I keep thinking of other songs I could replace some of these with..."Drift Away", "Oh, What a Night", "American Pie"...

Okay, I can't do it. I trust you'll all have better luck --and probably remind me of songs that should be on mine.

No comments: