Friday, June 15, 2007

No Visible Drawls in Louisiana...

"Mayor Carol Broussard said he would sign an ordinance the town council approved this week setting penalties of up to six months in jail and a $500 fine for being caught in pants that show undergarments or certain parts of the body.

"I don't know if it will do any good, but it won't hurt," Albert Roy, the councilman who introduced the ordinance said. "It's obvious, and anybody with common sense can see your parts when you wear sagging pants."

Broussard's advice for people who like their pants to hang low: "Just wear it properly. Cover your vital parts. I mean, if you expose your private parts, you'll get a fine. If you walk up and your pants drop, you get a fine. They're better off taking the pants off and just wearing a dress." (source)

Here's the thing, I recently read (I really wish I could remember which site) a post that explained the origin of this "style" --and I think some of the thugged-out kids would be mortified to know. Much like the giant white t-shirts, white socks and soccer slides the low pants also had their origin in prison. This was a "sign" that you were willing to...uh...be the "girl" of the relationship. When I see kids walking around here with their belts under their tighty-whities, I am so tempted to tell them what they're advertising...

Though, IMO, it's still ridiculous to fine someone for how they wear their pants.

No comments: