Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Charlie Daniels Honored by the Pentagon

"...The Pentagon honored music legend Charlie Daniels here today with the Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Public Service, the Defense Department’s top civilian award.

Perhaps best known for his chart-topping platinum single, “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” Daniels has played concerts for servicemembers at military installations around the world. The musician, who has been entertaining troops with his genre-blending style of country, blues and jazz for more than 35 years, says his life-long patriotism was born during World War II.

“I remember the day that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and I have taken patriotism into my heart, I have taken the military into my heart, and it has been there ever since,” Daniels said. “The more I go among the military, the more I am convinced that you folks are the best America’s got.

“It is an honor and a privilege to be able to come to wherever the military is, in whatever part of the world they happen to be in, to entertain them,” he said." (source)

I am normally NOT a fan of country music, but I love me some Charlie Daniels. If he's at the 9/11 Six Flags Freedom Concert this year I am so there... I would love to see/hear him play live.

No comments: