Monday, June 18, 2007

BBC Acknowledges Bias

Many Most All on the left here still balk at the talk of a biased press. Now the Beeb is admitting it exists:

"The BBC, the British Broadcasting Corporation, has acknowledged the network is biased toward the left, following a report commissioned by the company.

A yearlong probe revealed the corporation especially partial in its treatment of single-issue politics such as climate change, poverty, race and religion, according to the London Times.

"It concludes that the bias has extended across drama, comedy and entertainment, with the corporation pandering to politically motivated celebrities and trendy causes," the paper said.

The report cites the danger of BBC programs being undermined by the liberal culture of its staff, who need to challenge their own assumptions more.

"There is a tendency to 'group think' with too many staff inhabiting a shared space and comfort zone," says the report." (source)

I understand why those on the left don't see it, I really do. They agree with what is being said so a lot of little things would just slip right under their radar. They can't understand how aggravating it would be to hear anti-their- opinion in every medium every day because they've never experienced that.

The Man I were watching Weeds (Showtime series) and the loser, druggy character gets orders to Iraq. Next thing you know there's a full three minute anti-war, anti-Bush tirade that ends in the "Bush defender" saying he bought good weed from Laura. The next day I'm in my Jeep listening to the new Chemical Brothers CD and in the middle this line: "Osama Bin Laden, Bush, Saddam and Idi Amin all the same."

One of my younger (lib) brothers was over yesterday for father's day and I was watching him squirm in his chair as politics and the war came up. I couldn't help but getting a bit of pleasure from it. Welcome to my world buddy where I get bombarded with options I think are shite 24/7 in real life, on the news and seeping into my entertainment. You had to endure one BBQ, Conservatives deal every day...

No comments: