Friday, May 25, 2007

Women and Maps...


"...Sexual orientation and gender affects navigation skills, with straight men best at map reading and heterosexual women worst, according to a new study.

Researchers at the University of Warwick considered how we perform mental tasks in light of sexual preferences, with straight men performing better at map reading than gay men who in turn perform better than lesbians, who in turn do better than straight women.

But old age withers all men’s minds alike, and at a faster rate than women’s, according to Prof Elizabeth Maylor of the University of Warwick, who worked with Dr Stian Reimers of University College London on an online survey with the BBC, published in the Archives of Sexual Behaviour.

“This is a novel finding,” she said. “Only gender has an effect on rate of ageing, not sexual orientation.” (source)

For the record, not only can I read a map and successfully navigate a plan of action...but I can fold it back to its original form when I'm done. I think most women feign not being able to a) because they could care less b) doing the "I need a man to help me" bit. I hope that's the case anyway because it really doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Speaking of gay men...I had no idea they were "banned for life" from donating blood by the FDA.

No comments: