Sunday, May 20, 2007

Movie Warning...


Last night The Man went to see some band, so I told the boys we could get all kinds of fun junk food and rent some movies. We had seen the TV trailers for Pan's Labyrinth (with looked like a dark Alice in Wonderland) and decided to get that. My "boyfriend" at Blockbuster had one under the counter for me like he does with the new movies. I never even looked at the rating...I thought it was like the Labyrinth with David Bowie or the Dark Crystal --a kid's movie, albeit a dark one.

Whoops. SO not a kid's movie. And incredibly realistically violent movie with graphic, prolonged (actual) torture and brutality...with a spattering of "fairy tale" thrown in. Not to mention the commercial never hints that the entire film is in Spanish.

Though all the write ups and teasers deal with the fairy tale aspect of the film, it plays a minor role. The majority of the movie is with the real life plot of a fascist-loyal Captain stepfather and his quest to capture and kill rebels in post Civil War Spain.

Now I'm not saying that it wasn't a good movie...just one that my 8 and 6 year old probably could have done without seeing.

No mom of the year award for me...