Thursday, May 31, 2007

Marital Decade


I'm not a girly-girl about romance, Valentine's Day, flowers, or anniversaries... The Man gets annoyed because I'm the one that forgets what date we got married (actually, I never forget the date --I forget the year). He saved every letter I wrote him when I was in living in the UK and I kept not a one. I guess I have my mom to blame for that. Any little sentimental knick-knack was a potential "dust collector".

This is a big milestone though and it does mean something to me. I know people are losing bets everywhere. We got engaged 3 months after we started dating and married 3 months after that. I'm sure people either thought I was knocked up or they gave us "two years tops".

The other night I was looking through his box of my letters and I was shocked (and a tad embarrassed) at how mushy I was -I guess being a continent away will do that to a person. I had even written and sent him a POEM! Good Lord, I don't even remember doing such a thing --talk about how to lose a guy in 10 days! It's terrible. What was I thinking? I can’t write poetry…

Unspoken Promise (circa 1996)

Drawn into your light
Tonight I have fallen
Into the fire of your eyes.
You, my comrade in thought
Leave me bereft of excuse.
Nestle into my soul.
The courtship dance begins,
Slowly...
I falter with your every smile
Striving to keep up.
Tonight communication has
No words
Silent walls crumble,
Hope chisels brick.
I am hostage to the promise
Of you...

Well, obviously I had to marry the only man that ever inspired me to write (bad) poetry.

He actually wrote a lovely post yesterday -way more sentimental than mine (of course, it is tesco so there is a language warning)

Ten years later and I'm definitely sparing him the poems, but I'm just as sure that I made the right decision as I was that sunny May day 10 years ago (when we had to promise to have TVs set up all over the reception because the Flyers were in the playoffs...)

No comments: