Monday, May 21, 2007

Let's Talk Illegals...


Okay, as you may have noticed I was trying my damndest not to talk about this new immigration bill. It's like a billion pages that I don't feel like reading and though I have listened to people on both sides of the "It's amnesty"/"It's not amnesty" debate--since I haven't read it for myself...I don't know.

Obviously McCain gets a little testy if you call it Amnesty. There was one part of the bill (maybe a minor plus) that I was glad to hear was in there. Illegals (upon their return) could only petition to bring their wife and children with them --not every relative in their extended familia tree.

I don't really "get" the bill. You have to apply for a Visa, pay back taxes and a $5,000 fine --and then after 8 years go back to your country of origin to apply for the green card? <--That's the part I don't get.

A site "Stiknstein" called breaks down the bill bit by bit in its post Riiiiight, It's Not Amnesty. There have already been "Republicans for Amnesty" sites set up so voters can see who is supporting this bill. Human Events has an OpEd, Sen. Jeff Sessions, claiming that the Immigration Bill is Worse Than You Think. And another article claiming that Bush removed the provisions requiring illegals to pay their back taxes.

So what are we to think…? Let's check what Fred Thompson had to say:

“We should scrap this bill and the whole debate until we can convince the American people that we have secured the borders or at least have made great headway.” -Fred Dalton Thompson 5/07

Sounds like a plan to me. Why make provision for the overwhelming amount of illegals that are already here, when we have hundreds more pouring in each day...

As I haven't had the willpower to read this bill, I am anxious to hear what all of you have to say about it...

No comments: