Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Brokeback Lesson Plan?


"...A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit..." (source)

Okay, I'm with them so far. No teacher should be showing my 12/13 year old Rated R movies -regardless of what the "theme" is... It's bad enough schools are showing Gore's "documentary". But here's where they lose me...

"...Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling..." (source)

"Distress" and "Pain and suffering" when you weren't hit by an 18-wheeler always diminishes sympathy...and the message of the suit...for me. Half a million? Shoot, I'll watch it for that...

...And I was worried that I said “crap” in front of sixth graders the other day.

No comments: