Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Virginia Tech Murders

I don't really know what I can say about the shooting spree that took place at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg yesterday, but I felt it would be wrong not to acknowledge it.

My first reaction was remembering that this same thing happened there not long ago --and why I remembered that without prompting from any talking heads is that's where 91Ghost and PRM used to live with their little girl. I just kept thinking how glad I was that they moved... 32 people dead and 28 wounded last I read. Utterly heartbreaking.

I know a lot of people will say teachers should have guns, but I don't think that would have stopped this. I heard a Philly-based talk show host last night say that we need to somehow reprogram people with these tendencies to jump off a bridge alone when they want to kill themselves instead of feeling like they need to go out in a blaze of glory making some statement and taking bystanders with them...

Obviously I have no idea what the answer is, what this person's motives were, and why this seems to be occurring more and more in our society. I wish I did.

No comments: