Friday, April 13, 2007

Is Self Perception Always Flawed…?

If you asked the people closest to you what your biggest flaw is, what would they say? Do you know?

It's rare to find someone that is willing to be honest about your character flaws... If I was pressed to predict what my people would say... I guess that I'm too controlling. I have the tendency to take over anything I'm involved in. If I don't take it over, I might as well because I am bad about accepting help or input. It is something I'm working on. It isn't done maliciously -I just hate that whole "working in groups" thing...

I had a friend once that said something completely different. This person thought I was a user. That I used her and everyone else around me. That shocked me more than I can tell you. It's even hard to type now so many years later. I am sure I have many flaws, but I would have never in a million years thought of myself using anyone. It's strange when the image you have of yourself is shattered by another's perception. In my early 20's I went to counseling to address my "savior complex" and to try to learn that I can say "no" to people and that am not always responsible for the well being of everyone around me... I can't figure how that jives with being a user...

I wonder how surprised most of us would be to hear what others really thought of us...

No comments: