Thursday, April 12, 2007

Fred Thompson's Cancer Disclosure

I can't tell you how many panicked emails I received yesterday about Fred Thompson's announcement that he is in remission from lymphoma.

"...Thompson was diagnosed with indolent lymphoma about two-and-a-half years ago, but he told Fox News the cancer is treatable.

"I have had no illness from it, or even any symptoms," he said. "My life expectancy should not be affected. I am in remission, and it is very treatable with drugs if treatment is needed in the future – and with no debilitating side effects." (source)

Don't fret people. He was diagnosed in 2004. The fact that he's disclosing now only solidifies the notion that he is indeed planning to run. He's disseminating information he feels could be used against him and gauging the public reaction. He’s vetting himself. He's going to run.

And yes, if this was his wife making this announcement I'd be the first to say that he shouldn't pursue this horrible, thankless job.

(BTW: A new Bloomberg poll has Thompson --that would be FRED and not TOMMY-- usurping McCain's 3rd place position...without declaring. -H/T: Jim)

(Cross-posted at Draft Thompson '08)

No comments: