Friday, April 27, 2007

The 12 Year Old ALa

Somehow I got sucked into buying a table at my kids' schools' fund raising flea market this weekend... As I was rifling through the basement looking for things I no longer want but others may see as a good way to waste their money, I came across an old scrapbook. In it I found the rough draft (I told you I was anal) of the very first letter I ever wrote to a boy. I was 12. I met him at a skating party. Despite the embarrassing nature of the contents (elucidating just how dorky I really was) I will print it here...for nostalgia's sake:

April 21, 1983
"Dear Stuart:
Hi.
How are You? I'm Fine. I guess. B___ said she gave Danny my number to give you. 555-1212. Did you get it?
Well what kind of things do you like? Do you like rock? What groups? Van Halen is number 1 on my list! Other groups I like are: Journey, Asia, Survivor, Duran Duran, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Loverboy and many others.
What school do you go to? I go to ____ ____ (same as Danny). Is he your best friend? B___ is one of mine. In what area do you live? I live in the _____ _____. I might go to _____ next year. Are you good at school? I'm ok, but I'm lousy at math!!!
Do you like sports? I like basketball. Does Danny really like B___, that seems hard for me to believe a 16 year old liking a 12 1/2 r. old! How old are you? I'm 12 and 1/2. When is your birthday? Mine is July 26.
Do you go to the skate every month? H___? Do you always go in the ____ ____ bus? It was OK, but I can't stand organ music! I was gonna bring a Sony Walkman but the batteries were dead! Well if you have time write back and answer my questions.
See ya soon,
A______

Do you like rock? LOL Well, I hope my kids are still this geeky at almost-13...

No comments: