Friday, February 16, 2007

Sleeper Cell: Definitely Superior to "24"

I know I'm once again late to the game on this one, but I don't have Showtime and I didn't realize Sleeper Cell episodes were available online...so I waited until I could rent them at Blockbuster.

Sleeper Cell is one of the best series I have seen in a long time (Prison Break included). To anyone that watches "24" (which I am also making my way through), this is really a much superior show for two important reasons: I like "24", but let's face it --the acting (aside from Kiefer) is pretty bad. Second, the plot twists of Sleeper Cell are much more realistic (making it uncomfortable to watch sometimes).

Granted, it's hard to find a main character that measures up to Jack Bauer...but Darwyn Al-Sayeed (played by Michael Ealy and pictured below) is as close as you can get. He is definitely more tortured by his decisions than Bauer, but he does what needs to be done and it feels authentic.

Sometimes in "24" I feel like the writers want to do something with the plot and then back away from it (maybe because CAIR has been dogging them from the beginning), but you never get that feeling with Sleeper cell --they always "go there". I hate to ruin anything, but one little thing they threw in was the blonde haired, blue-eyed American terrorist was the screwed-up son of an ultra-liberal Berkeley professor. That little thing let me know the writers were not going to shy away from truths because they're not PC enough or shy away from taking some backlash.

Preview for Season II
Watch Sleeper Cell online and get caught up.

Watch it...you'll thank me.


*In the interest of full disclosure, I did email them an let them know that if they arranged for a picture of me and Michael Ealy together I would make it my blog header and give them free advertising forever...needless to say -no response. ;)

No comments: