Sunday, January 07, 2007

I Knew It Had To Be a Veteran...

My brother called yesterday to tell me an awesome story...

There was a 20 year old waiting for the subway who began to have a seizure and fell onto the rails --and the train was coming. Another man (waiting there with his two young daughters) jumped down onto the rails to pull him back onto the platform, but the fact that he was still seizing made it impossible. Making a life or death decision, the Good Samaritan pulled the kid into the center of the rails covering him with his own body as the train passed over both of them with about 2 inches to spare...

As my brother was telling me the story, I just knew that when I looked it up it was going to be a veteran that did this. Who else would have this reaction as a first instinct?

Low and behold, the hero is 50 year old Navy Veteran Wesley Autrey. I would have bet on it and won.

"...Autrey's daughters had instantly thought the train had killed their father and the teen, but their worries quickly dissipated when they heard their father scream up from under the train that the two were fine.

"I didn't want the man's body to get run over plus I was with my daughters and I didn't want them to see that," Autrey added.

The man who fell onto the tracks was taken to St. Luke's Hospital where he's said to be in stable condition. His identity has not yet been released. Autrey walked away without a scratch. Neither came into any contact with the train." (source)

...and on top of all that --he dismissed accolades claiming he was a hero and said 'the men and women over in Iraq...they are the heroes'. How nice to get a good news story every once and a while.

None of us know what we would do in any given high stress split second moment...and though I aspire to be someone that throws themselves on a grenade or myself under a train for others, I don't think I'm there just yet...

(H/T: wayfinder)

No comments: