Wednesday, January 31, 2007

D.C. Anti-War Protest

This weekend the protest didn't bring the crowds Vietnam drew...but Jane Fonda was there with her kids. (The protestor's say "hundreds of thousands" showed up, but official numbers are about 30,000)

“Silence is no longer an option,” Fonda said to cheers from the stage on the National Mall. (source)

I thought this was interesting:
"What do you think about what happened to the three million Vietnamese and Cambodians who died after the U.S. troops left Vietnam?"

FONDA: "It’s too bad that we caused it to happen by going in there in the first place." (source)

And all the other usual suspects were in tow...

Sean Penn had a warning for politicians on the ballot in 2008. "If they don't stand up and make a resolution as binding as the death toll, we are not going to be behind those politicians."

"This past November the American people sent a resounding signal to Washington, D.C., and the world. We want change. We want this war to end. And how did Bush respond? Twenty-one thousand, five hundred more will risk their lives for his misguided war. Is impeachment still off the table? Let's get him out of office," Robbins said.

The crowd responded, "Impeach Bush, impeach Bush, impeach Bush!" (source)

I would love nothing more than to sit face to face with any of these celebs and make them think about the long-term ramifications of the rhetoric. I wrote CNN once and begged Crossfire to let me debate Jeanine Garofalo (pre-Air America days). No response of course.

Someone, who by request shall remain nameless, emailed me to say that you couldn't bomb someone into Democracy. I said that Japan may beg to differ... I don't know if Democracy can work in Iraq (it is contrary to the teaching of the Qur'an) but I do know that we need something other than a cesspool for terrorists in training...and leaving in the heat of it doesn't seem the way to achieve that. But I'm just a Blogger and not an actor, so what do I know?

Though I do like this "celebrity" quote:
"Any speech Jane Fonda gave after 1972 in my opinion should have been posthumously." -Danny Bonaduce (source)

Also in attendance to protest the protestors was Joshua Sparling...remember him? He was the Soldier at Walter Reed that got that "Die Infidel" card:

SPARLING: "What we are doing, actually, is doing the anti-protest protest. And we were there with our flags. And all that happened I was — a fellow saw me wear my 82nd Airborne sweater, and I noticed he also had an 82nd patch on his own sleeve.

And he said I was a disgrace, basically, and that I was — that I had blood on my hands and that I had no right wearing the uniform. And he spit at me." (Read the entire transcript)

No comments: