Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Behind the Pomp & Circumstance...

As I watched parts of former President Ford's funeral ceremonies yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder about a shallow aspect of the pomp and circumstance...

Someone once told me that the men picked to carry the casket, the rifle honor corps and the Color Guard are picked with looks in mind -certain weight, height and build. Now, I'm not sure if this is true but it does seem that way because they are all quite handsome. I guess it would have to be an "unwritten rule" as I'm sure someone would have sued on behalf of the not-so-fair-of-face folk... Is it true? Who gets picked for that duty and how does the opportunity come about? What are the physical specifications? Is it a desired honor? Is it the same men at all the funerals or different ones each time?

...Once something gets in my head I need to know. I searched the "Army's Military District of Washington" for the info but couldn't find anything.

No comments: