Thursday, December 14, 2006

The "True" Meaning of Christmas...

Over the past two weeks I have seen countless commercials, heard quite a few talking heads and "Holiday" specials saying:

"The true meaning of Christmas is about giving to others."

That's a nice sentiment and all, but since when did that become the real/true meaning of Christmas?

I realize I haven't been to church in a while, but I'm pretty sure the "true" meaning of Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. This seems to be a trend this year...unlike last year we can utter the word Christmas, but it's about giving and being nice. I noticed that my kids' school read a Hanukkah book, a Ramadan book and a Kwanza book...and then read "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".

The picture is the older one's "book report" due today. The assignment was to read a book about whatever holiday you celebrate and decorate a wreath with themes from the book. I probably shouldn't do this, but to follow is a bit of an email his teacher sent after the assignment paper came home:

"... I would like to clarify that the idea of a wreath is not meant as a symbol for Christmas, but as a universal symbol of unity and unbroken love, faith, friendship, etc. However if your family views it as a religious symbol, your child is not required to illustrate on a wreath. Feel free to select another way (mobile, star, etc). We are trying to avoid the traditional poster this time..."

Which can only mean she caught hell for the assignment from the PC Patrol. As a direct result of this email I this I bought the boy the most religious book I could find (that would still allow an interesting wreath).

The Legend of the Candy Cane (by Lori Walburg) tells how the Candy Cane symbolizes the shepherd’s staff and is a "J" for "Jesus" turned the other way. The Red stripes symbolize Jesus' blood when he was whipped and crucified and the white symbolizes the healing his sacrifice bestowed upon mankind.

Obviously I'm just tickled that he got to do this in a public school... ;)

No comments: