Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pink's New Cause Celeb

When I first read the article where Pink is urging us to boycott Marino and Australian wool my stomach turned a bit (I'm no vegan, but I don't want living things to suffer):

"...The outspoken singer says, "I am calling on consumers to check labels on sweaters before buying them, and if they're merino wool or made in Australia, to leave them on the racks."

At a news conference held just before her concert at the Paris Bercy arena in France Tuesday, Pink premiered her new video expose of Australian wool cruelty.

In the disturbing four-minute video, which is being launched on the Internet, Pink shows viewers the suffering that merino sheep endure in the Australian wool industry.

She agreed to front the film after learning that millions of lambs are mutilated each year by having chunks of skin carved from their backsides-without any pain relief, in a practice known as "mulesing."

In the harrowing video, Pink says, "If you're like most people, you already refuse to wear fur because of the obvious cruelty involved, and, like me, you may even look for the stylish alternatives to leather.

"But what about wool? Most of us have never thought about it. Sadly, like any other industry that uses animals, the wool trade uses methods so sadistic that it makes you consider clearing your closet of any animal products." (source)

It sounds really bad, but then common sense (and a very strong attachment to my Uggs) kicked in and I realized this is PETA and Pink we're dealing with...so I did a bit of reading on the practice of "Mulesing".

First of all, it's not done to get the wool as Pink implies --it's done to prevent some infection called "flystrike" (hundreds of maggots from the Australian BLOWFLY are deposited into the back of the sheep and this practice is believed to alleviate that -a fact which most of the anti-mulesing sites don't dispute). It seems that sheep die from flystrike but rarely die from mulesing.

Now, I don't know if any of you have Rottis, but I have been there when they dock the tails and let me tell you...it's horrible. God, the squeals... But worse than that, Pink is so worried about baby sheep having some butt skin cut off -how about the fact that Americans cut of baby's penis skin with no anesthesia? I'd say that's a little worse than a sheep...but hey, that's just me.

No comments: