Friday, December 15, 2006

Oliver Stone's World Trade Center

So I broke down and paid the $4 to rent this at Blockbuster last night. I know I urged everyone to get a bootleg copy so Maggie "I hate America" Gyllenhaal wouldn't get a cent, but the truth be told...I have no idea how to go about getting a pirated movie.

The first movie about the World Trade Center on 9/11 and the (real) story is compelling --it should have been a "gimme" for Stone. I didn't cry and The Man fell asleep. This movie was an utter disservice to those that lived through this hell...

The only thing it accomplishes is to make you think about the scores of people that were most likely trapped under the rubble and the horror they went through. There were so many other things going on that day --and I think the image of the people jumping was paramount in people's minds, but this did show the hell underground.

Oliver Stone took an incredible story that happened in the context of a world-changing event and managed to make it into a movie in which you don’t feel emotionally vested in the characters... How is that even possible?

No comments: