Friday, December 01, 2006

Newborn Theft: Babies R Us "Changes" Gift Registry

By now you have probably all heard the story of Sara Brady -the woman that was attacked by Katie Smith who was trying to cut the 9 month old baby from Brady's stomach and claim it as her own. Smith was killed by Brady with her own knife...

Katie Smith, who was desperate after her inability to conceive, found Brady on the much-used Babies R Us gift registry. You could type in a state and all the names of pregnant moms would pop up. After this incident Babies R Us claimed they changed the registry so this information wasn't readily available. Basically they made it so you can't search by city...

"The 27-year-old mother can trace the nightmare to February 2005 when Smith twice lured the young mother-to-be to her Fort Mitchell apartment to pick up baby gifts supposedly delivered to the wrong address. Smith, claiming her name was Brody, told Smith the gifts were mistakenly delivered to her. Since that incident, Babies R Us has changed its online registry so that Internet users no longer can search the registry by city, police said." (source)

Last night I made up a last name and typed it in along with my state. A list came up and I found someone in a town within 10 minutes. I then searched for them on Zaba and had their address and phone number in less than a minute. Not to give would-be weirdoes any tips, but what the hell?

I am sure this is not something that escaped the techies that do the website for babies R Us --which leads me to believe that "changing the search" in the lame, ineffective way they did, was a facade of concern and not a real move to provide safety for thier customers... God forbid a search was a bit inconvenient and shoppers gave up and went elsewhere...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you wish for to improve your familiarity simply keep visiting this
web page and be updated with the most recent news posted here.
Here is my web site :: FinderHostel.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic however I'd figured I'd
ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a
blog article or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of
the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly
benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog
by the way!
Also see my web site - red hot elevator ride coins

Anonymous said...

Your way of describing everything in this post is genuinely
pleasant, all be capable of easily be aware of it, Thanks
a lot.
Here is my homepage ; define money

Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You've done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.
Feel free to surf my blog post chat free live

Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.
Here is my blog Web Series

Anonymous said...

Malaysia & Singapore & brunei greatest on-line blogshop for wholesale & quantity korean accessories, accessories, earstuds, necklace,
rings, bracelet, bracelet & hair accessories. Offer 35 % wholesale price cut. Ship Worldwide
My web-site ... playstation repair

Anonymous said...

Wow, this piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am going to convey her.
My web blog click the following document

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming
having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Also see my web page :: neucopia

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, what a weblog it is! This web site presents useful data to
us, keep it up.
Also see my web site :: Poker

Anonymous said...

Incredible quest there. What happened after? Good luck!
Review my blog post - web hosting delhi

Anonymous said...

What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website
daily, this site is truly nice and the visitors are truly sharing nice thoughts.
my web site - web hosting delhi

Anonymous said...

I read this post fully on the topic of the comparison of hottest
and preceding technologies, it's amazing article.

Also visit my homepage :: gracie st sugustine

Anonymous said...

Hi all, here every person is sharing these kinds of experience, so it's pleasant to read this weblog, and I used to go to see this webpage every day.

my web site: st augustine MMA
My webpage: cape coral mma

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established
blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it

My webpage :: eco-friendly family