Thursday, December 28, 2006

Einstein Would Have Fit Right in at Berkeley...

"Patriotic women should be sent to the front in the next war." -Albert Einstein

Someone that claimed to be "a U.S. Army Sergeant with 18 months of trigger time in Iraq" sent me an email saying this was the quote that came to mind when they read my blog.

I couldn't get the quote out of my head after I read it...not in an "the email bothered me" way, but in a "what a retarded quote from a brilliant man" way... But then I realized I knew absolutely nothing about Einstein on a personal level and I decided to do some reading.

I have never understood why patriotism is deemed wrong in the eyes of some. I have never understood why it's wrong to defend your country when it's threatened. I have never understood why I get emails demanding I join the military because I "support them" --should you all join the fire department because you want them to put your house out if it should catch fire? I have never understood pacifism as past wars have been the only way that past evils (gassing Jews, slavery) have been eliminated. I have also never understood the disdain for those that would don the uniform and fight on all of our behalves...

Unlike many today, Einstein included the military in the "majority" -meaning they stand to gain by acts of war and are not part of the minority that will suffer -as they joined to "defend thier country"...

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!" -Albert Einstein

I began reading a correspondence between Einstein and Freud about the nature of war... Einstein, an inter-nationalist, believed that only a "Supreme Court of all nations" could alleviate war (I wish he could see how well the United Nations was doing...or the EU for that matter). He asserted that aggression was a psychosis, but Freud didn't agree...

The more you read about him -the less his rants seem to be about "the aggression of war" and his disdain seems to be more about patriotism. My final conclusion --like many brilliant scholars...the man was a social misanthrope that seemed to lack common sense.

Anyway, I guess I can thank Seth for the interesting reading that was facilitated by his snarky email. This is stuff they just don't teach you in school. ...And Seth, for future reference, you'd have more credibility if you used your (dot)mil addy than a Yahoo one.

Well, maybe he wouldn't have fit in at Berkeley...it seems he was also a Zionist.

No comments: