Tuesday, November 28, 2006

No Peace Signs Allowed...

A woman in one of those "dictate everything you do with your own property" housing associations has been told to remove her Peace-sign shaped Christmas wreath. The Association says it is an "Anti-Iraq war message"...

If wreaths are allowed by this community, I don't see how they can dictate this woman remover hers. They have said they will fine her $25/day until it's removed.

"...Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs. He said some residents have also believed it was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said.

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.

Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing."

Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas." (source)

I once lived in a condo and woke up to a $150 fine on my door because apparently someone had puked over my balcony during a party the night before. A friend of mine now lives somewhere she is not allowed to have a clothes line. As much as my neighborhood can be a giant eye-soar (as the popularity of those giant blow-up lawn ornaments grows), I still prefer it to Gestapo living...

What struck me when I read this story is how the peace sign has indeed been perverted. I think "peace" (whatever that actually is) is everyone's intangible ideal, but the far-left has hijacked the symbol and somehow dirtied it and made it political. It's sad that I cringe at the sign or the word peace now --not that it isn't a wistful aspiration --but now the word-association is sour...

So, though I strongly believe that Ms. Jensen should be allowed to keep her wreath (as homely as it may be) right where it is, I understand the visceral reaction from the military families.

(H/T: Nate)

No comments: