Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Newsflash: Women Talk More Than Men...

Whenever I ask my boys (or The Man for that matter) to tell me about something, I always start with "Tell it the way *I* would...not like a boy would". Probably the thing that frustrates me most about being the only source of estrogen in my house is ongoing struggle to attain decent communication.

ALa: Did CJM's little girl like the gift I sent over?

Wrong Response:
The Man
: Yeah.

Correct Response:
The Man
: She loved it. She ripped the wrapping right off and when she saw all the instruments she gave me a big smile and asked if I could help her open them. Her mom said you were really sweet and wonderful to remember her birthday and they all think you are such a great person. They all said to tell you thank you and that you picked the perfect gift.

Is that too much to ask? A few adjectives?

"...Dr Luan Brizendine of the University of California, who's published her shock findings in The Female Brain, says the average woman works her way through 20,000 words per day, compared with just 7,000 for the average bloke. She says "women devote more brain cells to talking than men", and cites fundamental differences between male and female brains as the cause.

Brizendine - whose findings are based on her own clinical work and the findings of more than 1,000 studies - reluctantly admitted: "I know it is not politically correct to say this but I've been torn for years between my politics and what science is telling us. I believe women actually perceive the world differently from men.

"Girls arrive already wired as girls, and boys arrive already wired as boys. Their brains are different by the time they're born, and their brains are what drive their impulses, values, and their very reality."

Indeed, Brizendine says said differences "can be traced back to the womb, where the sex hormone testosterone moulds the developing male brain". Specifically, "the areas responsible for communication, emotion and memory are all pared back the unborn baby boy". Accordingly, males "chat less than their female counterparts and struggle to express their emotions to the same extent" - which is hardly news to long-suffering females.

Brizendine elaborated: "Women have an eight-lane superhighway for processing emotion, while men have a small country road."

And when they're not cruising their eight-lane superhighway of emotion, women are getting a quick fix of verbals because "the simple act of talking triggers a flood of brain chemicals which give women a rush similar to that felt by heroin addicts when they get a high"..." (source)

I've only met a select few than can out-talk me... ;)

No comments: