Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Looking Forward: 2008



If I had a dollar for everyone that asked me who I want to be the GOP nominee in 2008...well, I'd have lots of dollars...

The only thing I've been able to get excited about in 2008 is watching what the DNC will do about Hillary and Obama.

The names I have heard bandied about hardly excite me...Bill Frist, Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, John McCain...yawn... There are only two people I can think of that would really pique my interest. I don't think the party would run either of them.

(Former) Senator Fred Thompson and White House Press Secretary Tony Snow.

Tony Snow isn't just a pretty face from Fox, he was a speech writer and Deputy Assistant of Media Affairs for George H.W. Bush. He's the son of an assistant principle and a nurse, he was a teacher both here in the U.S. and in Kenya, he's a musician and I am sure his personal life was thoroughly vetted before the Bush Administration offered him his current position.

But, my first choice and a candidate that I believe could best energize the base and create genuine excitement is Fred Dalton Thompson.

Fred Thompson isn't just a great addition to Law & Order, he was a popular Senator in Tennessee and is currently a visiting fellow for the American Enterprise Institute, researching national security and intelligence pertaining to China, North Korea, and Russia. He is a lawyer, was an assistant U.S. attorney and served as co-chief counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee. His personal life may be iffy with some evangelicals, but I belief he would be a lock for the nomination and could beat any Democrat put up against him...

Melman, are you listening?

No comments: