Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Miracle of Life

TLC's 'The Baby Story' doesn't do justice to the absolute amazing event of child birth...

Though being there brought back memories of my own experience that I am quite sure are meant to remain latent, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It was surreal being the "support person" as opposed to the one in the all-encompassing pain. I found myself being the one saying dreaded peppy things like, "You're doing great", "you're almost there" and "it's almost over"...easy for me to say right.

It's hard to watch someone you love in so much pain (especially when you've been there and can completely empathize) and not be able to do anything to ease it. AB was a trooper. Not one of those annoying first-timers on the aforementioned show that whine, moan and scream after 15 minutes declaring they can't do it and then plop out a tiny little 6 lb. baby. She was tough and focused and followed instruction without expelling much needed energy on self pity. I was incredibly proud of her. She soldiered though better than any of the women on that show in spite of the fact that she vomited violently with each spiking contraction no matter how many anti-nausea drugs they pumped into her -and then gave birth to a behemoth. (I know, I'm rough on most moms-to-be...a product of the fact that with my first I pushed for 3 1/2 hours straight while 3 nurses jumped on my stomach to break the baby's clavicle bone and finally gave birth to a seemingly lifeless, blue 9lb. baby...it's now hard to muster sympathy for 7 pounders with 45 minutes of uneventful pushing...)

Anyway, AB's hubby and I were hands on the entire time... holding legs, holding buckets, counting, encouraging and watching every second of that little girl's grand debut. It was by far the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

No comments: