Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

So, yeah...that picture is pretty much the extent of my costume this year much to the boys' dismay. The Man, on the other hand, decided to partake for some reason unbeknownst to me.

The older one is going out as Leather Face (today I am on the hunt for an apron that doesn't say "Kiss the Cook" and fake blood) and the little one a skeleton with a bleeding face. Since I have two boys I was surprised when I read an article a while back in the NYT that discussed how girls' costumes (even very young girls) were all sexed up these days. (My boys get upset when people have "cute" costumes as they subscribe to the actual spirit of the holiday being about ghouls and goblins and not pink ponies.)

"...I noticed that on the outside of every package was a photo of a woman modeling not only the costume, but teetering heels and bras of the push-up variety. The First Lady costume was not, as one might expect, a red business suit, but a pink crepe mini-dress. At least it had the matching pillbox hat. The angel was dubbed “heaven’s hottie.” Even the witch had a slit up her tattered skirt.

My girls were confused. “Where are the monsters?” they asked. “Where are the superheroes?” I pointed weakly to Wonder Woman and her thigh-high boots. “She’s pretty,” said my 4-year-old. Before adding, “You can see her breasts.”

As I watched them scan the selections, soaking in the unspoken message, I remembered my freshman year in college, going to a Halloween party dressed as a pumpkin. My face was painted orange. My torso was covered in fabric stuffed into a wide, round orb. It was not seductive. And it hadn’t occurred to me that it should be. There were no adult pumpkin costumes in the superstores. No vegetable costumes of any sort.

We moved along the aisle. I casually searched for the male equivalent of the Stewardess. Perhaps a Hot Fireman costume? Or maybe Handyman? But there was no Pool Boy. No Sexy C.E.O. There were, in fact, very few men’s costumes at all. A gorilla. A generic monster. A handful of serial killers.

We gave up on the mouse ears. Walking back, I noticed in the middle of the boas and six-inch heels and fishnets hung a Nun costume. It was a floor-length robe with modified wimple. Unlike the other ensembles, which offered bust and hip measurements, it was one size fits most. The price: a modest $9.99. According to the Target Web site, it is a best seller. Probably among men..." (source)

Or this article from the Arizona Central:
"...With names like "Transylvania Temptress," "Handy Candy," "Major Flirt," and "Red Velvet Devil Bride," there is no doubt that costumes marketed to children and teens have become more suggestive.

Such costumes, which typically feature plunging necklines, fishnet stockings, knee-high boots and very short skirts, dominate the display at most costume shops and party supply stores, and parents are having a hard time avoiding them." (source)

Did those of you with little girls find this to be true? I never thought I'd be relieved to be walking around with Leather face, but I can't see that being a pedophile turn on...

Take the Horror Movie Quiz

No comments: