Wednesday, September 27, 2006

DNC Puts "Rovian Tactics" to Shame...

...burying George Allen in farcical accusations.

Allen has been involved in politics for over 20 years, but now on the precipice of an extremely important election three people are claiming he is a "bigot" because he (allegedly) used the "N-word" thirty years ago.

Aside from the fact that tons of people are coming out saying that he never spoke that way, let me be perfectly blunt (and very un-PC)... From what I can remember of the early 70's, most people back then used the N-word. It wasn't the taboo word it is now. And I was in racially diverse Philly...not the South. Actually, thinking back to the older kids in my neighborhood, the N-word would have been one of the nicer slurs used.

I don't know if Senator Allen said the "N-word" in college or not. It's pure speculation. What isn't speculation is how many actual bigoted statements Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Julian Bond have made? Did Barack ever call someone a cracker when he was 15? Who knows and quite frankly, who cares? The DNC has a former Klan member as there top dog in Congress--you're telling me he never said the N-word...or much worse? He we go again with the manufactured outrage...

I do know that I would hate to be held accountable in my adulthood for many of the things I said in my youth. I believe that what we say in our early years is a regurgitation of what we have absorbed from the world around us --and not until adulthood have we formed our own opinions from our life experiences. (I vaguely remember telling someone in my teens that we should kill all the homeless people and fill the pot holes in Philly with their ashes --solving two problems at once... being a teen is all about shock value, but would that insentient comment made over 13 years ago now bar me from ever being a civil servant? I guess so)

It does seem odd that the person making this charge against Senator Allen waited until 2 months before this election to speak up --also that when he was contacted by Fox News his wife told them "They told us not to speak to Fox" --They? So is this "memory" bought and paid for by Moveon.org?

As long as Robert Byrd retains his Congressional seat, I really can't take any accusation that George Allen may have used the N-word once or twice 30 years ago even a bit seriously...

(Update: Jim Webb, George Allen's Democratic opponent, won't answer questions as to whether he's ever used the "n-word":
``I don't think that there's anyone who grew up around the South that hasn't had the word pass through their lips at one time or another in their life,'' Webb told reporters.)

No comments: