Monday, August 21, 2006

No Jail if You Can Throw a Pass...

I can't get this story out of my head... Is it the unbelievable injustice of it? Am I over-empathizing with the mothers? Or just once again stunned with the message our legal system portrays to the country?

"...A judge decided two high school athletes can complete the football season this fall before they serve 60-day jail sentences for a car crash caused by a decoy deer placed in a country road. Two teens were injured.

"I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm going to. I see positive things about participating in football," Judge Gary McKinley said Tuesday.

Dailyn Campbell, a 16-year-old quarterback for Kenton High, and 17-year-old teammate Jesse Howard will serve their time in a juvenile detention center. They were also ordered to write a 500-word essay titled "Why I Should Think Before I Act." (source)

Two high school jocks playing a prank caused one boy permanent brain damage and the other broke his neck, collarbone, arm and leg (I think I read he's had 11 surgeries?)

...But the two that thought making drivers swerve across the road to avoid a fake deer get to finish their football season? Has everyone that dons a black robe lost their collective minds?

No comments: