Thursday, August 24, 2006

My Wal-Mart Change of Heart

I've never really shopped at Wal-Mart. It wasn't any political statement -more of a vestige of my childhood when shopping was limited to Sears & Clover... And, a secret most moms haven't seemed to discover, you can get big named brand items at a consignment shop cheaper than K-Mart/Wal-Mart clothes (that get weird the first time you wash them) anyway.

But I always wondered what the big debate over Wal-Mart was. The fact that every liberal I know is against them always baffled me...?

I read a Harvard report about them (sorry that I can't find it to reference) that said when Wal-Mart comes into a small town it's almost the equivalent of each person in that town getting a 20% raise. Also that there had been comparison studies and Wal-Mart pays a very competitive wage in those towns with better benefits than most places of business. The left complains that Wal-Mart tells big companies what they will charge customers for their products and they don't agree the store won't carry the item.

So shouldn't the left love Wal-Mart --wouldn't it seem that they are the first huge cooperation that actually does fight for the poor people (an estimated 30% of Wal-Mart customers don't even have checking accounts)?

Given all this information I have read, I have to assume that all the complaints consist of smoke and mirrors --and the real reason is that Wal-Mart won't unionize.

So I decided that I will try to shop at Wal-Mart whenever I can. I went yesterday and bought all the boy's back-to-school stuff. (And, on a friend's advise bought the "Sam's Choice" brand Bean and White Corn Salsa and she was right --it was the best Salsa ever...)

No comments: