Friday, August 25, 2006

Morning After Pill: One Conservative's Opinion



I hate to stand with Planned Parenthood and Hillary here, but I'm okay with the FDA decision to allow "Plan B" to be sold OTC. I didn't have time to peruse through other right/conservative sites, so I don't know if I'm a minority opinion here...

Despite all the best efforts by well-meaning abstinence educators -we have millions of "unwanted pregnancies" in the United States each year and that number translates into millions of abortions. I would rather see women take the overdose of progesterone before the embryo attaches to the uterine wall and becomes viable than after when it would need to be sucked from her womb limb by limb. Though I am very pro-life, I'm not a subscriber to the "every sperm is sacred" theory...

I don't buy the argument being offered by "conservative groups" that this pill will "encourage promiscuity". (If I moved somewhere that allowed prostitution and heroin I still wouldn't partake in either...the fact that it was legal wouldn't change my own convictions.)

Here's the thing though, this decision better drastically decrease those abortion statistics. It's easy, cheap, convenient and women will have NO excuse to have abortions when they could have handled their business in a less barbaric manner...

(*Remember: The "Morning After Pill" and the "Abortion Pill" (RU-486) are very different drugs -Plan B will not end a pregnancy, just prevent one.*)

No comments: