Thursday, July 27, 2006

Is Peace Even Possible?

I guess I figured that, being the Mother of a slain soldier, Cindy Sheehan would have understood Israel's Herculean efforts to retrieve their kidnapped soldiers... I was wrong.

Here are some excerpts from her latest rant over on Michael Moore's (a.k.a. the "little bitch") Page (it was so rich with pull-able quotes that it was really hard to pick and choose...) Apparently this was written on Day 21 of the Dairy Queen Fruit smoothies and cream Brule Fast...

"I have been in such a blue funk of depression and worry since Israel's over-reaction -- or "over action" in Lebanon in what seems to be insanity escalating out of control...
...As hard as I may try, I cannot wrap my mind around the fanatical rhetoric coming out of DC and from all over the world and the mindless and seemingly overwhelming support of Israel's right to "defend itself."
...It seems like we are arm chair witnesses to Armageddon and ashamed witnesses to our fool of a President at the G-8: groping women; talking, eating, and swearing with his mouth full; drooling over slicing a pig and generally acting like a drunken and amorous frat boy at a toga party.
...I have felt so helpless in the face of such unwarranted carnage, calamity, and sorrow. I have felt hopeless that anything I do can even alleviate the suffering of one person. I am helplessly hoping that the people of the world will join me and rise up to say a collective: "In God's (Allah's---whatever's) name: enough is more than enough, already!" (I hate to link Moore's site, but...)

I actually agree with the last paragraph. That's what I don't think many liberals understand. I don't want to think about Lebanese babies being blown apart...I don't want any innocent person to lose life or limb (military included).

...But I also don't believe peace is possible. Ever. It's not human nature. I'm sure there were caveman wars with clubs --there were wars way before there was an "evil American empire" and there would be wars even if America was no more. As long as people want money and power and are willing to shed blood over real-estate or religion --there will always be war. AS long as there are human beings there will always be suffering. Sad but true, it's our nature.

No comments: