Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yes, I'm Beating a Dead Horse...

I know this has been said 5,000 times and phrased in as many different ways... But I just can't shut up about it until it gets through to everyone that doesn't get it...

After reading yesterday that "Iraqi officials said the Americans were first tortured, then killed in a "barbaric" way...but said the retrieval of the remains was delayed because they were booby-trapped." (source) I was so angry all day. Truthfully I found myself much angrier at all the people making a big deal over Abu Gareab, Haditha and GITMO much more so than the terrorists. I guess because the 'human rights people' owe our troops everything and the terrorists owe them nothing.

If you are an Iraqi, Syrian, Iranian, etc. and you know that your loved one has been taken into American custody --you are pretty much guaranteed to see them again. Has EVEN ONE member of our military been returned?!

Where are the human rights groups now? When they say these soldiers were 'tortured' wouldn't it be nice to use Michael Berg's definition of torture? Wouldn't it ease their parent's pain to hope that maybe Amnesty International was right and torture means they were put in really cold air conditioning, or made to pose naked, or barked at by German Shepherds? I am NOT being facetious. Think about it --when they say these men were tortured you know exactly what that means. Actual, brutal, physically painful torture...as defined by Webster and not Cindy Sheehan and her ilk.

Why doesn't the 'Blame Bush crowd' see that? Even John McCain belittles his own actual torture by labeling 'humiliation' as torture... I have tried to see it from the other side, but I can't. I won't.

We are not fighting an army. We are fighting civilians who are using Guerilla warfare tactics and we are trying to play by some Gentleman's rule book and it's absolute bullshit. I have said it before and I'll say it again... If we are going to tie our troop’s hands in silk ribbon, pull them the hell out and let real hell descend.

First good OpEd I've read about all this.

No comments: