Monday, May 01, 2006

This Title Rhymes With Witch...

Maggie Gyllenhaal is in a new movie about the aftermath of 9/11 on New Yorkers... Here are her comments from the film festival where it premiered. (It's Robert De Niro's festival and I hope he's furious over this...)

"The United States "is responsible in some way" for the devastating terror attacks. "I think what's good about the movie is that it deals with 9/11 in such a subtle, open way that I think it allows it to be more complicated than just, 'Oh, look at these poor New Yorkers and how hard it was for them,'" Gyllenhaal told the NY1 cable channel.

"Because I think America has done reprehensible things and is responsible in some way and so I think the delicacy with which it's dealt allows that to sort of creep in," she added. (source)

I guess her publicist gave her hell though because she then issued this statement:

"She later issued a statement through her publicist saying that Sept. 11 was ``an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world.''

``I was so surprised by the way it was misunderstood, and the disdain that came back at me was a real shock,'' Gyllenhaal told the Daily News for an interview published Sunday. ``I regret what I said, but I think my intentions were good.''

Gyllenhaal told the newspaper that the backlash taught her ``that neither the red carpet nor an interview about a movie is the right place to talk about my politics. I realize I have to be careful, because it's very easy to misunderstand a complicated thought in a complicated world.'' (source)

Misunderstood? Could that original statement have been taken two ways...?

No comments: