Saturday, May 13, 2006

National Guard on the Border?

Drudge is reporting that on Monday night President Bush will suggest we use the National Guard along our borders during a televised speech.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has spoken out against that:

"There is all kinds of talk about now that should we use the National Guard," Schwarzenegger explains. "I think that the key thing is that we secure our borders. Going the direction of the National Guard, I think is maybe not the right way to go because I think that the Bush administration and the federal government should put up the money to create the kind of protection that the federal government is responsible to provide."

"Not to use our National Guard, soldiers that are coming back from Iraq, for instance, and that have spent a year and a half over there and now they are coming back. I think that we should let them go to work, back to work again." (source)

I think I gotta go with Arnie here. The National Guard has been used a lot and are already have trouble meeting recruiting goals. Why can't we hire more Border Control officers? Are they just a title with no action behind it?

No comments: